Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Happy B-day to Clayton & Calvin!

Its Tuesday again and time for another Shopping Our Stash challenge! This one was perfect timing for me...I had 2 birthday cards I had to make for 2 of my grandsons. Yep, that's this week's theme:
Challenge 89 - Birthday theme- birthday card or layout, tag, etc.


Clayton's card

Clayton just turned 11 and his 2 main interests are 'video' games (I think they are called something else now!) and skinny jeans. We got him a couple pairs of skinny jeans and he was quite pleased....whew! It helped that his older sister told him they were cool. (Thanks, Pearl!)
For his card I wanted something not "little boyish" so I drew a simple pair of jeans, long and skinny, and painted the image with watercolor paints. Added a sideways sentiment and a little strip of denim* with faux stitching instead of ribbon. And not even any Stickles! But the brad does have a black rhinestone!
*the denim has been hanging around my laundry room for years for patching (which I haven't done in years!)

Calvin's card

Inside

For calvin, who is only one year old, I could still do a cutsie little-boy card! The image is a digital one from Pollycraft Stamps called "Frog" (go figure!). He is colored with Spectrum Noir and Memento markers. I used my Spellbinders Standard Circle die and Lg Scalloped Circle die, Microsoft Word to make the "1st", Stampin' Up HB stamp, and several really old buttons. On the inside the greeting is computer generated and the Bible verse is a JustRite clear stamp. The striped paper is a few years old and was a bit dog-eared...had to trim all the edges to use it. Super-old heart stickers too!

Everyone needs birthday cards frequently, right? Why not whip one up and join the challenge at SOS this week. We'd love to see what you create!

I'm also going to enter these in a few challenges:
Skinny Jeans card-
http://fairytale-challengeblog.blogspot.com/- #60 "Sewing, Real or Drawn"
http://craftsandmechallenges.blogspot.com/- #119 "Favorite Color Combo" (red, black, white)

Frog card-

10 comments:

Jessi Fogan said...

Now that's a cool card for a tween boy! I love that you DREW those :) And how cute is that frog?

lauren bergold said...

too funny, your grandson and my niece riley must've been born in the same week of 2002! calvin isn't also a valentine baby, is he? well, anyway, as for the cards, they are both magnificent AND age appropriate, and i am sure they will be loved by both boys AND their minions... or as you may call them... parents, lol!!! ♥

Bianca said...

You have made a very lovely card! Thank you for joining us at Fairy Tale Challenge! xx Bianca

Edie said...

We are so glad you decided to share your cards with us this week at 613 Avenue Create. They are both great looking cards and I'm sure the boys will love them!

My Creative Therapy said...

Sandie,
I love your interpretation of my sketch :) And that frog digi is just too cute, beautifully colored and perfect for a 1 year old. Love the jeans too! Good for you drawing your own skinny jeans! We know all about those in our house! Thanks for playing in our neighborhood at 613 Avenue Create.

Kathi
Co-Owner

My Creative Therapy
http://kathiscreativetherapy.blogspot.com/

Poppet said...

Great cards Sandie, I think the jeans card is just perfect for an 11 year old and the denim strip (not ribbon) is genius.

Thank you for sharing your wonderful work with us at Crafting When We Can Challenges. :-) xx

Chana Malkah said...

Really nicely done, Sandi! Both cards are fabs! Thanks so much for playing on our street at 613 Avenue Create!
Hugz,
Chana, Co-Owner

RoseC said...

Sandie, your hand-drawn and wonderfully colored skinnie jeans look fabulous on this cool guy's card. So glad to see your entry at the Crafts and Me Stamps' digi team's "Favorite Color Combo" challenge. Hugz, ~ Rose

Kim Kutie said...

Really cute cards. Thanks for joining us at 613 Avenue Create.

Glimpses of My Heart said...

Sandie - WOW! These are both super cards! I love that you DREW the jeans!! Great job with that! And that frog is so cute. I love him too! Well done!
Blessings,
Michelle